Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Oh what have you done...

I woke up today to the news from his brother Micheal, that my long time friend Peder from Denmark, who moved to Austria to climb & boulder hard, & compete in moto-cross competition was involved in a fatal accident at the weekend. He had a furious crash & broke his neck in a moto-cross race for top placement. While paramedics were trying to get to him another competitor collided with his body, sending him 12mtrs down a ravine into boulders. When the rescue teams finally got to him there was no sign of life. Peder was a talent in both his disciplines, a great & compassionate guy with a lot of time for people, family & friends. I would use the words, replete, unfettered, honest, vivid & patient here
also, but they do little more than dust the surface. His moto, painted simply as 'Go4iT' on an old t-shirt, went with him everywhere. Along with Lars ala Nǿrsk, we were planning a trip onto Cerro Fitz Roy & Torres del Paine early next year...

I don't know what else to say right now, except that he will hopefully always remember this:
You are no one's worst enemy. Go bully someone. No more crazy lager fuelled nights, no more bright strong days, no more plans to boil excitedly over the cauldron of adventure...It's just gone & it's all to surreal & it aches. It's like the intricate pattern of fragile threads that hang in the morning light, keeping us closer, are being pulled away one by one, by something odourless, unseen & cowardly. Again, there is one less point on the compass now, by which I feel I can navigate this world, to harbour... A cardinal point has been scratched off by fortuity & the tool is useless. I will miss you dearly man...

Don't you know?
On the road between the homes of friends, grass does not grow.


9:30pm: I just got back from sitting at the edge of the ocean & I thought while I waited like a stone. What if I just put the sea kayak in the water & head out. Not to reach any destination, not to return from any journey, not to navigate any course but just to keep on going into nothingness, & see what's waiting for me out there, & let go & what does going home mean anyway anymore, what has it ever meant, in any sense of the word...

 
posted by ※Sgian Dubh ※ at 2:15 PM |


0 Comments: